TheraCal PT® Pulpotomy Treatment
Dual-Cured Resin-Modified Calcium Silicate Pulpotomy Treatment
TheraCal PT is a biocompatible, dual-cured, resin-modified calcium silicate designed for pulpotomy treatment. TheraCal PT maintains tooth vitality by performing as a barrier and protectant of the dental pulpal complex.
TheraCal PT’s precise and direct placement allows its use in deep cavity preparations. The dual-cured set permits immediate placement of the restorative material.
TheraCal PT is primarily indicated for:
- Pulpotomies: TheraCal PT may be placed after the partial or full removal of the coronal pulp. Approximately 12 – 15 pulpotomy applications.
And can also be used for:
- Pulp exposures (direct pulp capping): TheraCal PT may be placed directly on pulp exposures after hemostasis is obtained.
- Protective liner (indirect pulp capping) or base under a variety of substrates.
- The chemical formulation of TheraCal PT consists of synthetic Portland Cement calcium silicate particles in a hydrophilic matrix which facilitates calcium release
- TheraCal PT™ physical properties resist breakdown and degradation leading to a durable seal
- Alkaline pH: pH = 11.5 @ 7 days
- Moisture tolerant: Low water solubility
- Radiopacity: TheraCal PT is radiopaque (2.45mm) allowing for easy identification and differentiation from recurrent decay and other restorative materials
Please note: TheraCal PT syringe should remain in the pouch until ready to use. Once pouch is opened, use TheraCal PT within 90 days.
TheraCal PT Virtual
Product Talk: Advances in Pulpotomy Treatment
Dr.Mike DiTolla speaks with Dr. Theodore P. Croll about TheraCal PT.
Frequently Asked Questions
TheraCal PT is not intended to replace TheraCal LC.
TheraCal PT and TheraCal LC share some of the same indications for use, however we recommend you use TheraCal PT for pulpotomies and continue to use TheraCal LC as a liner and for direct and indirect pulp capping. This approach is more cost effective based on the number of applications from 1 box of TheraCal LC (4 - 1g syringes = 40-50 uses depending on application/s) verses TheraCal PT's 1 - 4g syringe (approximately 12 - 15 pulpotomy applications).
Primary indication: Pulpotomies
TheraCal PT can also be used for pulp capping, and as a liner or base.
18 Months. TheraCal PT syringe is pouched and should remain so until ready to use. Once pouch is opened, use TheraCal PT within 90 days
TheraCal PT should be stored at room temperature (68°-77° F; 20°-25° C)
Minimum of 45 seconds
Maximum of 5 minutes
Approximately 12 – 15 pulpotomy applications
No. Achieve hemostasis, place TheraCal PT, light-cure for 10 seconds and place desired adhesive, base, and/or restoration following manufacturer’s directions for restoring tooth.
One of the known limitations of calcium hydroxide-based materials is their relatively high solubility, which leads to dissolution of the material over time. TheraCal PT is moisture tolerant and will not wash out.
TheraCal PT is a resin-modified calcium tri-silicate that has enhanced physical properties when compared to MTA material. Essentially, the primary chemical used in both materials are similar but TheraCal PT contains a unique hydrophilic resin, which facilitates calcium release. Similar to MTA material, TheraCal PT has an alkaline pH.
Yes, after hemostatsis, disinfectants, desensitizers or wetting agents can be used.
Please note per the instructions for use: when chlorohexidine and sodium hypochlorite are used together staining may occur. If used together there should be a saline rinse in between.
No. TheraCal PT is more viscous.
Unlike TheraCal LC, TheraCal PT is a dual-cured material indicated for pulpotomies. TheraCal PT and LC both use THERA technology which is a unique hydrophilic resin matrix that facilitates calcium release. PT and LC are both radiopaque, moisture tolerant and offer an alkaline pH.